Nothing makes a good day better than a dollop of ice cream. Luckily, ice cream is not totally off the menu when you have diabetes. One delicious option is Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream, a low-carb frozen dessert without added sugar.
Here’s the scoop on why Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream is good for diabetics.
Is Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Diabetic-Friendly?
Breyers Carb Smart is a sweet treat that can fit right into your meal plan.
Firstly, it has no refined sugars, which are linked to type 2 diabetes. To give it a rich, creamy taste, it uses a combination of these sweeteners instead:
- Maltitol syrup: low-calorie sugar alcohol without an unpleasant aftertaste
- Acesulfame potassium: a zero-calorie artificial sweetener
- Sucralose: a calorie-free artificial sweetener that’s less sweet than acesulfame potassium
These sugar substitutes are sweeter than table sugar—a little goes a long way—and they have little to no impact on blood sugar levels when consumed in moderation.
Now, large amounts of sugar alcohol can irritate the gut, so keep your portions down.
Another reason Breyers Carb Smart is worth a try is that it has fewer carbohydrates than most ice creams.
That said, how the body reacts to food varies from person to person. Check your blood sugar readings after eating your cup of ice cream to ensure you’re well within your target.
How Many Carbs Are In Breyers Smart Carb Ice Cream?
The amount of carbs slightly varies among different ice cream flavors. Here’s a glance at all the Breyers carb-conscious options and their carb content:
- Vanilla: 16 grams
- Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry: 16 grams
- Chocolate Flavor: 17 grams
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip: 19 grams
- Mint Chip: 19 grams
- Mint Fudge Cookie: 20 grams
- Brownie ala Mode: 21 grams
The American Diabetes Association now approves a low-carb diet to help manage diabetes. A personalized eating plan with a consistent, pre-set carbohydrate count is crucial to effective blood sugar control.
The best way to stick to your carb budget while enjoying ice cream is to remove one carb-heavy food from your meal. For instance, you may skip pasta to make room for a serving of Breyers vanilla ice cream.
From a blood sugar perspective, you might also want to pay attention to net carbs.
You get net carbs after subtracting dietary fibers and some sugar alcohols, like erythritol and xylitol, from total carbs. They’re broken down into glucose, or blood sugar, which your body absorbs completely.
Lastly, follow the recommended serving size so you can watch your carbohydrate intake.
What Is the Best Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Flavor for Diabetics?
The healthiest Breyers Carb Smart option comes on a stick—yes, ice cream bars to enjoy your frozen dessert on the go!
How Does Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Compare to Regular Ice Cream?
Compared to regular ice cream, Breyers Carb Smart offers reduced sugar, calories, and carbohydrates. It contains artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols that don’t cause your blood sugar to spike.
Here’s the nutrition info per single serving of Breyers CarbSmart Vanilla Ice Cream:
- 110 calories
- 16 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams net carbs
- 4 grams sugar
- 4 grams fiber
Traditional ice creams have high amounts of added sugar, such as corn syrup and cane sugar, that can cause weight gain and blood sugar spikes. Not to mention, they’re rich in calories and carbs.
For example, regular vanilla ice cream from Breyers has 170 calories, 19 grams of sugar, 19 grams of carbs, and zero dietary fiber. More decadent flavors like Rocky Road and Chocolate Peanut Butter have even more.
How to Enjoy Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream Safely as a Diabetic
Follow these tips to make every spoonful of your delicious ice cream guilt-free:
- Even with diabetes-friendly desserts, portion control is vital to maintaining stable blood sugar levels. Stick to a half-cup serving!
- Pair ice cream with a protein and dietary fiber source, such as a small handful of nuts or beans. Lean protein and fiber-rich foods can help slow the absorption of sugar and control blood sugar spikes.
- The body works harder processing sugar at night, so eat your ice cream earlier in the day.
- It’s best to consume ice cream with a meal. That way, you can switch out foods to ensure you stay within your carb intake limit.
- Enjoy your Breyers Carb Smart ice cream as an occasional treat or part of a balanced nutritional plan.
How to Choose the Best Ice Cream for Diabetics
In moderation, ice cream can be part of a healthy diet. If you’re looking for diabetic-friendly ice cream, remember these tips when surfing the frozen aisles:
- Read nutrition labels and pay attention to how many grams of carbohydrates are in ice cream products. Choose a flavor that contains no more than 20 grams of carbs per half-cup serving.
- Pick options with lower or no sugar content and high dietary fiber.
- If you’re on a keto diet, choose low-carb ice cream with keto-friendly sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit. These natural sweeteners have a low glycemic index.
- Fats slow down sugar absorption. Opt for keto ice cream, a low-carb option with higher fat content.
- Look for sugar-free ice cream with the sugar alcohol erythritol. It’s gentler on the stomach than most other types.
Here are other ice cream brands to satisfy your sweet tooth while keeping your blood sugar levels in check:
- Halo Top Vanilla Bean
- Edy’s Slow Churned Ice Cream
- Blue Bunny Ice Cream
So, is Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream good for diabetics?
The verdict is in—Breyers Carb Smart Ice Cream is a delicious treat for people with diabetes. Its low sugar content, calorie count, and net carbs make it a suitable option for those looking for a sweet fix without guilt.
Just remember to enjoy all good things in moderation!
For dietary advice on managing your blood glucose levels, consult a healthcare professional.
Last update on 2023-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API